Who was a famous soldier in the Civil War?
Abraham Lincoln, Jefferson Davis, Clara Barton, Robert E. Lee, Ulysses S. Grant, Stonewall Jackson and William Tecumseh Sherman played notable roles before, during and after the conflict.
1. George Thomas. According to some historians, the greatest and most skilled Union general may have been a southerner. A native of Southampton County, Virginia, George Thomas was a career soldier who had served with distinction in the Mexican-American War and later taught at West Point.
Important people during the American Civil War included Abraham Lincoln, the 16th president of the United States, whose election prompted the secession of Southern states; Jefferson Davis, the president of the Confederacy; Ulysses S.
The Top 5 Greatest Confederate Generals: Robert E. Lee, Stonewall Jackson, James Longstreet, Nathan Bedford Forrest, and Patrick Cleburne.
Vikram Batra (PVC, Posthumous) Captain Vikram Batra, PVC (9 September 1974 – 7 July 1999) was an officer of the Indian Army, posthumously awarded with the Param Vir Chakra, India's highest and most prestigious award for valour, for his actions during the 1999 Kargil War in Kashmir between India and Pakistan.
Twice as many Civil War soldiers died from disease as from battle wounds, the result in considerable measure of poor sanitation in an era that created mass armies that did not yet understand the transmission of infectious diseases like typhoid, typhus, and dysentery.
There were many important confederate generals and commanders during the American Civil War. Some, like Robert E. Lee, Stonewall Jackson, and Nathan Bedford Forrest are household names.
“Graybacks”: A slang term for lice, or occasionally an offensive “Yankee” slang term for Confederate soldiers.
Confederates had their own colorful names for Union soldiers, calling them bluebellies or Billy Yank.
Robert E. Lee and Ulysses S. Grant, both West Point graduates, rose to become the most important commanders of the Confederate and Union Armies. Robert E. Lee's military expertise was recognized before the war.
Who is the most famous black soldier?
- Morgan Freeman. Service: Air Force. ...
- Tracy Marrow, aka Ice-T. Service: Army. ...
- Berry Gordy Jr. Service: Army. ...
- David Robinson. Service: Navy. ...
- James Earl Jones. Service: Army. ...
- Laurence Tureaud, aka Mr. T. ...
- Elgin Baylor. Service: Army Reserve. ...
- Harry Belafonte. Service: Navy.